Good mental health is about positive wellbeing. It is an important part of our physical health, our relationships, our education, our work and to achieving our potential. It can help us cope with life’s problems and to enjoy the good things that life has to offer.
Things that can contribute to our wellbeing are:
- Positive emotions: how happy we feel
- Engagement: taking an interest in your work and activities
- Relationships: having people in your life that you care for and who care about you
- Meaning and purpose: feeling that what you do in life is valuable and worthwhile
- Accomplishment: feeling that what you do gives you a sense of accomplishment and makes you feel competent
- Emotional stability: feeling calm and peaceful
- Optimism: feeling positive about your life and your future
- Resilience: being able to bounce back when things get tough
- Self-esteem: feeling positive about yourself
- Vitality: feeling energetic
Being mentally and emotionally healthy doesn’t mean that people never go through hard times or suffer through some painful situations.
Good mental health is also more than just the absence of a mental disorder, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, or anxiety.
For tips on how to stay well or how to get help visit: www.mentalhealth.org.nz