Services offered by Audiology include:
- diagnostic hearing assessment for all ages including newborns referred from the Newborn Hearing Screening Programme
- habilitation and hearing aid fitting for children with permanent or significant hearing loss
- habilitation and hearing aid fitting for adults who meet criteria set by Ministry of Health Hearing Aid Funding Scheme
- ototoxicity monitoring
- Waikato Newborn Hearing Screening Programme: to provide diagnostic and habilitation services for babies who refer their newborn hearing screen.
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) department: hearing assessments for patients referred by ENT, including hearing assessment for children under anaesthetic in theatre, and a monthly combined Ear Nose Throat / Audiology clinic
- Maxillofacial: assessment prior to surgery and fitting of the processor for bone anchored hearing aids
- Vision hearing technicians: refer children to the Audiology department who do not pass their B4 School Check.
Manager, Speech Language Therapy, Audiology, and Newborn Hearing Screening
Clinical Lead Audiology
Our team offers an outpatient service for the Waikato region, which is based at:
- Waikato Hospital, Meade Clinical Centre, Audiology Clinic, Level 2, Reception E.
The service is also available as outreach clinics at Waikato DHB’s rural hospitals; Tokoroa, Te Kuiti, Thames and Taumarunui.
Phone: 07 839 8794
- Option 1 - Booking clerk:
For all booking and appointment queries
- Option 2 - Assistant:
For all hearing aid and repairs queries
Referrals are prioritised based on the information we receive.
The Audiology department accepts internal referrals and external referrals from a range of services for children which include (and are not limited to): Plunket nurses, Vision Hearing Technicians, GPs.
Hearing therapists from Life Unlimited can provide initial hearing aid assessments and on-going hearing aid support for adults. Hearing therapists can also refer adults who meet the Ministry of Health enable full funding criteria.