Thames Hospital is a secondary level hospital that serves the Thames, Coromandel Peninsula, Hauraki and Paeroa areas.
It offers 24 hour emergency department, and covers the usual range of general surgery and general medicine.
More specialised services are offered through outreach or telehealth services using Waikato Hospital specialists, or patients are sent to Waikato Hospital which is about 1.5 hours away by car.
It is a modern hospital that had significant upgrading of facilities including a new clinical centre with Emergency Department, radiology and outpatient clinics, plus a new inpatient (ward) area with a High Acuity Unit for cases that require more intensive monitoring and treatment.
Thames Hospital include
- Emergency Department providing 24 hour care for people with serious illness or injury.
- X-ray and laboratory services for seriously ill patients 24/7 and for planned hospital visits Monday to Friday.
- Inpatient Unit with 54 ward beds for medical or surgical patients plus 10 rehabilitation beds.
- Day Unit and Theatres for booked surgical procedures Monday to Friday. Some patients staying overnight will be admitted to the inpatient unit.
- Outpatient clinics - About 1000 people visit outpatient clinics each month for a wide range of services including orthopaedics, medicine, surgery, paediatrics and women’s health.
Manager, Thames Hospital and Family Health Team
Dr Ruth Large
Phone 07 868 0040 for all departments and services
- Referrals are by general practitioners (GPs) or other health specialists.
- Non-acute (non-urgent) referrals will initially be seen at a clinic