All referrals are triaged by the Memory Service team on a weekly basis.
A client needs to agree to participate with the service.
On acceptance of a referral:
- a referral maybe made for a CT brain scan
- a member of the team will arrange with the client and/or whānau an appointment for an initial assessment at home
Following this further assessments maybe indicated such as neuropsychological assessment, social work assessment or occupational assessment.
Finally a clinic appointment will be scheduled with a consultant psychiatrist to provide an outcome and an agreed plan with the patient and family assessments.
Post clinic interventions may involve:
- Supporting clients and their family/whanau to make sense of their diagnosis
- Prescribing and monitoring medications
- Further assessments
- Psychological interventions
- Psychosocial and functional support
- Community referrals
- Support to access services
- Driving assessments
Our team is unable to offer crisis support or long-term support for significant mental health issues.
If your referral is declined you will receive a letter outlining why. Depending on the nature of the referral the team may offer recommendations or forward the referral to a more appropriate service.