Southern Rural Health
Tokoroa Hospital, Te Kuiti Hospital, Taumarunui Hospital and Southern Rural Health teams
Waikato DHB has three rural hospitals: Tokoroa Hospital, Te Kuiti Hospital and Taumarunui Hospital. They are part of the Community and Southern Rural Health services.
As well as offering hospital services listed below, the hospital sites host other Waikato DHB services including hospital and community based allied health, clinical nurse specialists, health promoters and other agencies and providers for their local areas.
The rural hospitals
- operate 24/7 emergency departments and are the default providers for primary care after-hours services aligned with the Waikato DHB after-hours strategy
- support the retrieval service (air and road ambulance) to Waikato Hospital for high acuity patients requiring complex/secondary/ tertiary care
- offer a range of speciality clinics for outpatients with visiting senior doctors
- general laboratory and radiology diagnostics
- dental general anaesthetics
- endoscopy services
- fracture clinics
- primary birthing services
- repatriation of rural patients from Waikato Hospital to a hospital closer to their own community for further care before discharge.
Manager Southern Rural Health
Dr Shameen Safih