Anaesthesia is part of Waikato Hospital's Theatres and Interventional Services cluster.
The team includes 40 specialist anaesthetists, registrars and senior house officers, anaesthetic technicians, a pain nurse practitioner and pain nurse specialist, a research scientists, manager and administration support. It is led by an Anaesthetic Executive Group.
The full scope of practice includes preoperative assessment, anaesthesia for surgical and non-surgical procedures (including sedation and all forms of regional and general anaesthesia), complex pain management and resuscitation, and medical education.
- Anaesthesia for emergency and elective surgery
- Obstetric anaesthesia
- Cardiac anaesthesia
- Paediatric anaesthesia
- Remote location anaesthesia (interventional radiology, cardiology, brachytherapy, ECT)
- Pain Service (inpatient and chronic)
- Pre-anaesthetic Assessment Clinic
- Allergy Clinic
- Transoesophageal echocardiography (intraoperative and ICU)
In mid-2013, 10 new operating theatres opened at Waikato Hospital, providing upgraded facilities for the department and a growth in its functions. This brings the total number of theatres to 22.
The Anaesthesia team at Waikato Hospital has a strong track record in teaching, continuing medical education and research, and aims to be a centre of anaesthetic excellence in New Zealand.
Waiora Waikato Hospital Campus, Pembroke Street, Hamilton
- Operating Theatres and Post-anaesthetic Care Unit, Waikato Hospital
- Day of Surgery Admission, Reception K, Meade Clinical Centre, Waikato Hospital
- Academic Department of Anaesthesia, Waikato Clinical School, Waiora Waikato Hospital Campus