- Waikato DHB Health System Plan, Te Korowai Waiora [PDF, 2.8 MB] (published August 2019)
A 10 year plan that sets out a pathway to meet the challenges of the future and to have a Waikato health system that works for our communities.
- Waikato DHB Resource Review [PDF, 3.5 MB] (published June 2019)
A commissioned review of Waikato DHB’s resources, to ascertain whether they are adequately allocated within the organisation, and identify areas where improvements can be made without compromising clinical safety and outcomes. The review focuses mainly on Waikato Hospital.
- Waikato DHB Strategy [PDF, 6.6 MB] (published 2016)
Developed after community consultation in 2016, the strategy established Waikato DHB’s vision and mission, and six strategic imperatives.
Key publications and policies
Key publications and policies
Legislation passed on 30 April 2020 allowed Ministers to extend the time for meeting planning requirements that apply under the Crown Entities Act 2004 (DHB Statements of Intent (SOI) /Statements of Performance Expectations (SPE)) by up to three months due to the impacts of Covid-19. The Minister of Health has invoked this power granting an extension for DHBs to prepare and publish a SOI/SPE for 2020/21. The reason the extension has been granted is to reflect the revised timelines agreed for finalising 2020/21 DHB annual plans due to COVID-19 impacts, and to ensure quality SOI/SPE documents are produced that align with DHB annual plans and appropriately reflect COVID-19 recovery.
Waikato DHB gives notice that finalising and publishing its 2020/21 SPE will be delayed but will occur before 15 August 2020. This extension will ensure the Waikato DHB is able to adequately assess its operations in the forthcoming financial year and enable it to provide a better SPE than it would be able to if the extension were not granted.
Waikato DHB published its operative SOI in 2019/20 and does not intend to update this for 2020/21.
Human Resources and Organisational Development
Mental Health and Addictions
Midland Regional DHBs
Suicide Prevention and Postvention
Tumu Whakarae is the National Reference Group of Māori Health Strategy Managers within
District Health Boards.
- Tumu Whakarae Submission to Government Inquiry into Mental Health and Addiction [PDF, 4.9 MB]
- Tumu Whakarae - Final report of Riki Nia Nia as Chair July 2020 [PDF, 9.9 MB]
Waikato Health Trust
Waikato DHB developed a set of position statements on identified public health issues.
The purpose of these position statements is to provide high level documents representing Waikato DHB’s position as an organisation on these issues, and to clarify the organisation’s position for Waikato DHB staff.
- Nutrition and Physical Activity [PDF, 370 KB]
- Gambling [PDF, 511 KB]
- Alcohol harm [PDF, 407 KB]
- Fluoride in drinking water [PDF, 127 KB]
- Housing [PDF, 400 KB]
- Immunisation [PDF, 340 KB]
- Land transport [PDF, 454 KB]
- Psychoactive substances [PDF, 308 KB]
- Tobacco Control [PDF, 223 KB]
- Urban environments [PDF, 341 KB] [PDF, 223 KB]
Some of the key Waikato DHB policies of public interest are provided below.
- Assets and Equipment policy [PDF, 145 KB]
- Capital Expenditure policy [PDF, 150 KB]
- Delegations of Authority policy [PDF, 487 KB]
- DHB National Healthy Food and Drink policy [PDF, 320 KB]
- DHB Paid Family Carer Policy for Home-Based Care [PDF, 200 KB]
- Family Violence – Child Protection policy [PDF, 581 KB]
- Financial Accounting policy [PDF, 89 KB]
- Fraud policy [PDF, 119 KB]
- Management of Policies and Guidelines [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Māori Health policy [PDF, 172 KB]
- Media and Communications policy [PDF, 221 KB]
- Naming Rights of Waikato District Health Board Owned Facilities policy [PDF, 128 KB]
- Procurement and Contracts policy [PDF, 778 KB]
- Receiving and Giving of Gifts policy [PDF, 79 KB]
- Recovery of Overpaid Salaries and Wages policy [PDF, 105 KB]
- Risk Management policy [PDF, 229 KB]
- Smokefree policy [PDF, 183 KB]
- Sponsorship policy [PDF, 130 KB]
- Treasury Management policy [PDF, 146 KB]
Health profiles provide data and information related to identified health priority areas and priority population groups in the Waikato DHB region.
The Early Childhood Health Profile
Designed to inform and further enhance the Population Health approach to improve early childhood health gains for children under 5 years of age.
The objectives of this profile are
- to provide access to child health data for under 5-year olds for the Waikato DHB region, and
- identify the social determinants of health that both influence and impact on the health and wellbeing of children under 5 years of age.
The Youth Wellbeing Profile
Designed to inform and further enhance the work of Public Health in education settings. It will be used to guide the understanding of health and wellbeing among young people aged 13-24 years in the Waikato DHB region.
The objectives of this profile are to:
- identify the strengths of Waikato based youth
- acknowledge potential areas of focus where additional support is needed
- explore the overlapping domains of health and education
- support a whole school approach to health and wellbeing in education settings.
Waikato DHB Māori and Pacific Health Profiles
These profiles provide a snapshot of key statistics around the health and wellbeing of the Māori and Pacific populations across the Waikato DHB region. The health indicators used in this document are reported in an info-graphic style and are structured specifically to Māori and Pacific models of health.
The main sources of statistical information contained in these documents are from Statistics NZ Census, Waikato DHB Health Register, Ministry of Health and for the Pacific profile we have been able to obtain some primary care data.
Territorial Authority (TA) Health Profiles
In 2015 a health profile was developed for each Territorial Authority (TA) within our Waikato DHB region which shows the latest statistics on demographics, key health issues, socioeconomic determinants, and projections utilising infographics. Tables show more detailed statistics such as comparisons between TA and DHB, Maori and Non-Maori, and development over time.
- Hamilton City Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 377 KB]
- Hauraki Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 351 KB]
- Matamata / Piako Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 349 KB]
- Otorohanga Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 354 KB]
- Ruapehu Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 349 KB]
- South Waikato Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 338 KB]
- Thames / Coromandel Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 350 KB]
- Waikato District Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 352 KB]
- Waipa Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 349 KB]
- Waitomo Health Profile 2015 [PDF, 351 KB]