Overseas trained doctors

Do you want clinical experience in a tertiary hospital?
Would you like to explore your career options and explore a delightful new country?

You can do both here

Waikato Hospital is one of New Zealand's largest tertiary teaching hospitals with a full range of sub-specialties on one campus.  Its located in a medium-sized city (Hamilton) in a region (Waikato) that offers a temperate climate, a great lifestyle and a friendly welcome.

Are you a UK or Irish graduate who has gained registration at home?

Or do you come from a country considered to have a health environment comparable to New Zealand's? (see list below)

If so, we welcome your interest in working in Hamilton at Waikato Hospital.

We offer professional and personal support for year 2, 3 and 4 house officers and registrars including

  • a full programme of clinical education
  • involvement in research activities
  • excellent academic and clinical skills training centre
  • strong links to the Auckland University Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
  • an RMO Unit that is there to provide guidance, support and has an “open door/drop in” ethos.

Add to this

  • a vibrant campus – a place to meet new friends as well as learn new skills
  • a friendly city set on the beautiful Waikato River, with many opportunities for outdoor activities close by.

You are welcome here

Making an application

If you are an overseas trained doctor you will need to check eligibility for registration with the MCNZ(external link) to practice medicine in New Zealand. 

Also go to the MCNZ’s fees page to check the costs associated with registration(external link).

Again, if you are an overseas trained doctor you will need to check with Immigration New Zealand(external link) to see if you are eligible to work in New Zealand.

The full process for application for a job at Waikato District Health Board is shown on our House officers and Registrars page as well as pay rates, house officer runs and registrar positions, education programmes and the hospitals you can work in.